Appalachian Trail Section Hike: Springer Mountain to Unicoi Gap 3/21-27/2015

So, it's 2021 now that I'm finially publishing this post. I probably won't be able to do the story justice at this point so I'll start with a summary: I started out with Kevin, and he did the best he could - but unfortunately he injured his back the first day of hiking and had to get a ride home. I had to make a choice. I remember being torn because I had already taken the time off work, and I really wanted to do this section, but I had never hiked alone. I decided to go for it. Thing was, I wasn't hardly ever alone. I met so many wonderful people. They even gave me a trail name of "Bama" but only because I was the only person on the trail from Alabama. I have since denounced this trail name and decided I need new trail-mates to give me a proper one that's more based on my personality or some circumstance I get into. I made it all the way to Unicoi Gap. Since then I have dreamed of doing the next section, but life has gotten in the way. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy these really old pics from almost 6 years ago as of this posting.

We started at this nasty-ass Budget Inn. If you look them up on Yelp you can probably find my 1-star review describing the most nightmarish hotel experience of my life. It was gross. Don't stay here y'all.
 

First we had to go a little bit the wrong way so we could start at the beginning. We didn't do the 8 miles prior to the start of the trail. 


I love my Dream-Hammock get up. To this day my set-up is still almost the same. I had borrowed the Eno setup from my buddy Kirk who you saw on the Shining Rock Wilderness trip. It held up well.

At this point Kevin was hurting really bad. You could start to see it on his face. He really tried to push as hard as he could, but having a muscle injury in your back, while carrying a backpack - means that every single step hurts in agony. I don't believe I could have gone even as far as he did with the injury, and I was proud of him for going as far as he did.



This place was WONDERFUL. This was the first time in my adult life that I had gone 3 days in warm-ish weather, sweating outside walking up and down hills, WITHOUT a shower. This place not only had a shower, but they also had a place to wash your clothes and a hostel. I had a shower, I washed my nasty clothes, and I staid the night at the hostel with my new friends. I suppose I was busy chatting with them during this time because I didn't take any pictures of them! 

The bunk I slept in!

This is my victor shot! I made it all by myself 3 nights and 4 days to Unicoi Gap! I made friends, memories, and the AT touched me in a way I can't even really describe. I can't imagine what an experience it must be to travel the whole thing. I hope to have the opportunity to do so some day before I die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shining Rock Wilderness, NC 1/29/15 - 2/1/15

First Trip! Oak Mountain State Park! 03/10/2012

Backpacking Cheaha - Aiden's first trip! Jan 30-31, 2021