Sipsey Wilderness 10-18-2014 w/ Troop 74

This was Austin's first backpacking adventure ever. We tagged along with Boy Scout Troop 74 for a quick overnight trip in the Sipsey Wilderness. We had a really good time! I didn't take very many pictures but nonetheless I will do my best to give a trip report. We arrived shortly after breakfast time at Borden Trailhead. We hiked trail 200 all the way down to the Sipsey Trailhead. On the way we stopped at some cool spots. Here's one of them:

When we arrived at Sipsey Trailhead we took a short break and then headed back the way we came till we found a camping spot we liked. There we set up camp:

I was in my Dream Dangerbird Hammock. That's my Warbonnet SuperFly Tarp half way up. I wasn't going to put it up at all, but around the time we were getting ready for bed the wind started blowing pretty hard so I figured I'd be better served if it was half way put up just in case the wind bothered me while I was sleeping (that way all I'd have to do would be to stake out the other side). Turned out, soon as it got completely dark the wind quit blowing and was pretty calm for the rest of the night. I slept with my ThermaRest ProLite pad for this trip which worked okay but I'm ecstatic about my new Hammock Gear Incubator 20 degree under-quilt that I will be using for the next trip! I will need it too as I'm sure it will be much colder.

Austin and Jacob slept in their tents, I slept in my hammock, and Chad and Troy slept under the stars. It was a really nice night. No rain. Not too cold. We woke up the next day and hiked out. I think Austin had a really good time. It was really cool watching him enjoy one of my favorite things in the world. He didn't get into the gear like I do, but he thoroughly enjoyed his time out in nature - and I figure that's really what's the most important. I'm sure if he enjoyed it, one day he'll go back. Had a blast and can't wait to go again! Stay tuned for Kevin and I's next adventure. We're going to attempt to hike to see the Big Tree @ Sipsey in a couple of weeks. For sure, I should have more info to post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shining Rock Wilderness, NC 1/29/15 - 2/1/15

First Trip! Oak Mountain State Park! 03/10/2012

Backpacking Cheaha - Aiden's first trip! Jan 30-31, 2021